Chelsea and I enjoy getting creative. We decided to try making butterflies out of popsicle sticks and yarn. We chose a few different colored yarns and got 2 different size wiggly eyes. Chelsea really enjoyed making this little craft. She loved being able to play with them after they were done.
- Yarn (couple different colors)
- Popsicle Sticks
- Glue (We used Elmers and Arlene’s Glue)
- Wiggly Eyes
- Pipe Cleaners (a few different colors)
- Extra items: (Velcro & String)
What you’ll do:
- Glue two popsicle sticks together to form an “X” and let the glue dry completely.
- Beginning in the center, start wrapping the yarn around the popsicle sticks on both halves of the “X.”
- Cut a pipe cleaner in half. Fold the half into a “V” and then curl the ends to form the antennae. Slide beads on to the end of the pipe cleaner.
- Take a second full-length pipe cleaner and wrap it around the center of the butterfly. Wrap the pipe cleaner around the antennae to hold it in place.
- Glue the end of the pipe cleaner to the back of the butterfly to secure it.
- Glue two googly eyes to the front of the butterfly.
Chelsea wanted to make our butterflies have the ability to fly. We added Velcro strips to the back of the butterflies and hooked a strong string to the Velcro strip. We also added magnets to the back of a few of our butterflies. We passed them out to a few of our family members.